Wednesday, November 28, 2012

GAPS Kids (and babies, too)


You will come to a place where the streets are not marked.
Some windows are lighted. But mostly they're darked.
A place you could sprain both your elbow and chin!
Do you dare to stay out? Do you dare to go in?
How much can you lose? How much can you win?

A year and a half ago I had a remarkable answer to the prayer in the form of a private message on a rather obscure message board for feeding issues. One message led to another and soon I found myself so blessed to have become friends with an amazing mother. Check out her guest post today over at GNOWFGLINS. 

It can be difficult to make a radical overhaul in diet. It is more difficult when you are doing this with a young child. It is much scarier to do with an infant who has had frighteningly severe reactions. Some are not interested in making this leap at all, perhaps because they hold no regard for the importance of diet or perhaps because they hold too much regard for modern medicine (which in turn places almost no emphasis on diet). I was ready to make the leap instantly when I read Ellie's story. But there was a slight problem. Juliana was only a few months old. Was this really safe for her? How could I proceed with an infant? At the time I couldn't find anyone who had put an infant on GAPS.  It was scary. What if I made things worse? What if I caused damage? I had some guidance here and there but mostly I was on my own. I didn't feel like I had any other choice, not when we did not have a single food that was safe, not when the GI doctor had told me "I don't have a clue why she has so many GI issues." How much could I lose? How much could I win?

Now we're seeing stories similar to mine in droves on GAPS Kids. I am honored to be a part of this group of people (mostly mothers) who are fighting for their kids. We're learning together, commiserating with each other, and we're healing our kids. If your roads are not marked, please dare to come in one of the few places where the windows are lighted.

No comments:

Post a Comment