Monday, March 26, 2012

Therapies at 12 months old

Physical Therapy - we do it twice a week. We have a very competent PT who is clearly very knowledgeable and passionate about her field. Unfortunately, no matter what we try, Juliana hates it and cries or complains through most of the session.

Occupational Therapy - we do this once a week through Early Intervention. We do a few good things but mostly we're doing a repeat of things already done in PT. I keep the appointments though because 1) the therapist comes to my house and 2) for the moment I want to continue my relationship with the EI program. Juliana mostly tolerates these sessions.

Speech Therapy - Yes, you can begin speech therapy with a pre-verbal child! When I approached EI about adding on speech therapy I was told that they generally don't even evaluate until two years old, but that they may consider evaluating her at 18 months. These time frames were unacceptable to me; Calvin was speaking in complete sentences by the time of his second birthday. There is no way I will wait for a delay before I begin to implement therapy. Thus, we now have regular appointments with a speech therapist (who was formerly our feeding therapist). So far speech seems to be the most fun of all the therapies.

We're about to add two new therapies to the regimen.

First, we are going to start seeing another Occupational Therapist who specializes in sensory processing/integration disorders. This was recommended to us by our developmental pediatrician. I can definitely see that Juliana has a few sensory issues although they seem fairly mild in comparison to those I have read about. I am hopefully that by intervening at a young age we can help those issues. I am excited about the possibilities here. The unfortunate part? Out-of-network insurance coverage, and it isn't anywhere near cheap.

Second, I am about to mail in the forms for an evaluation with a neurodevelopmentalist. It's kind of a strange series of events that have put me on this path but it is a path that I am very excited about. I have been in contact with a group of mothers and several of them have met with a neurodevelopmentalist who is just a few miles away from me. For a long time I have been feeling like there has been something missing from Juliana's treatment protocols and now I feel like I have found the missing link. This is totally unconventional and therefore totally disregarded for purposes of insurance reimbursement.

If there is anything that threatens to cause burnout, it is all of this therapy. Therapy, therapy, therapy every. single. day. potentially for years. It is my earnest hope and prayer that as we begin some of the neurodevelopmental work (which will all be done at home) we can cut back on some of the other therapies.

No comments:

Post a Comment