Friday, February 24, 2012

The New Normal

We are almost a year into our "new normal."

Our "new normal" means that we tend to have at least four appointments a week, mostly therapy visits.

It means that Calvin often says "can we go to the doctor today?" because he knows that he gets to play Angry Birds during the visit.

It means that I am very accustomed to making copious amounts of bone broth and liver puree.

It means that David might make an off-hand remark about how Juliana might live with us for the rest of our lives.

It means that I am at the point where I can casually discuss some of Juliana's birth complications with a complete stranger.

It means that Juliana will soon be on Medicaid.

It means that we just plug along, and I no longer get quite so hung up on how much easier life would be with healthy children.

It means mountains of paperwork and many phone calls.

It means that I am close to full recovery from stress-induced PPD.

It means that we're managing and things are all right.

Juliana's birthday is right around the corner. Six months ago I didn't think that I could handle this milestone. Now I'm pretty sure that I can. Another part of this new state of normal is that I've learned not to worry so much about comparisons and milestones. What's the point? Juliana is moving along at her own pace. I feel confident that we are doing all that we can to maximize her potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment